Elements of Japanese Architecture and Design
An illustrated talk by Debey Zito, a highly regarded furniture maker and interior design consultant based in the San Francisco bay area.
With lush imagery from a recent trip to Japan, Debey will focus on elements of traditional Japanese architecture. She will touch on how these details have influenced a few of our most brilliant designers in Art Nouveau, Prairie, and Arts and Crafts. She will also refer to Japan’s influence in the Mid-Century movement.
Debey Zito has been designing and building furniture for over 4 decades. Many of the pieces include carvings by her partner, Terry Schmitt. Increasingly, interior design work has become a larger creative focus.
Debey has lectured across the country on Furniture Design, Arts and Crafts Furniture and Japanese Design.
2286 Cedar Street, Berkeley
Suggested donation $15/$10 HSCmembers
Sunday, May 3, 2020
Bringing Back the Natives Garden Tour is an all-day event visiting local gardens.
Please check their website for
CALL TO ACTION
Hillside Club Members, Neighbors and Friends to the Club:
Please let us know if you (or a friend) would be willing to offer any of the following for our participation:
1. Two-hour commitment on Sunday, May 3, to serve as a greeter or garden assistant.
2. Native plant seeds, seedlings, or cuttings from your garden (to offer in exchange for donations to the HSC and Native Plant Garden Tour).
3. Lemonade or cookies or other snacks (to offer in exchange for donations to the HSC and Native Plant Garden Tour).
4. A scheduled musical performance in our great hall (great publicity!).
5. A brief lecture on native plants to schedule/offer in our great hall.
6. Any other native-plant-related activities to suggest/offer/commit.
7. Two-hour commitment to April work party for garden clean-up and preparation.
[We also hope to schedule a workday in late January or early February and will need volunteers].
8. Assistance with planning, photography, preparation of illustrated labels, etc.