Hillside Club Use Conditions
To help preserve this historic building, the following requirements must be observed by all Renters:
1. Absolutely NO SMOKING in any part of the building.
2. HARD LIQUOR IS NOT ALLOWED ON THE PREMISES. Wine, champagne, and beer are permissible for private events. If alcohol is served at an event open to the public, a one-day alcohol permit from the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board of the State of California ($25 from www.abc.ca.gov) must be displayed.
3. This is a residential neighborhood and is subject the Berkeley Noise Ordinance. All loud and/or amplified music is not allowed after 10:00 PM and all guests must be out of the hall by 10:30 PM. Noise outside the building must be kept within reasonable limits. DJs must abide by sound levels set by the management. PLEASE ENSURE THAT GUESTS DO NOT CONGREGATE OUTSIDE THE PREMISES AFTER AN EVENT.
5. Renters are responsible for setup, breakdown, sweeping, and returning the hall and kitchen to the condition in which it was found.
6. The Renter agrees to REMOVE ALL PERSONAL PROPERTY, TRASH, and COMPOST, at the end of the rental period but can put bottles/cans and flattened cardboard in the appropriate containers in the driveway. The use of compostable materials are encouraged. To discourage the use of plastic water bottles, the club’s refillable 4-gallon glass water decanter is available.
7. Children (minors) under the age of 18 must be under supervision of an appointed adult supervisor at all times. Climbing on the building, running, jumping, throwing of food or taking food or drink into the rest rooms is not permitted.
8. We do not permit candles or open flames of any type in the building
9. Only low pressure painters tape such as Blue Tape should be used to prevent damage to floor and walls.
Only existing wall nails can be used. Nothing should be nailed, pushpinned, or attached to the walls or doors. Wall putty is permitted.
10. We do not permit helium filled balloons in the hall as they may trigger our fire alarm.
11. A kitchen is available for warming and staging only. We cannot permit cooking or other food preparation in the kitchen.
12. Renters staying past the event end time specified in their contract may be assessed a fee of $300/hour in half hour increments.
13. Parking for The Hillside Club is available only on neighborhood streets; we have no off-street parking. There are no time restrictions on weekends. Monday–Friday have a 2-hour maximum parking limit during the day from 8 am to 7 pm without a “G” Berkeley City parking sticker.
14. The Renter agrees that The Hillside Club shall not be responsible for any loss of or damage to property belonging to the Renter, Renter’s guests, employees or contractors (including caterer) or for any injuries to same while on Hillside Club property.
15. A Certificate of Liability Insurance in the amount of $1 million per occurrence, naming the Hillside Club as additional insured, is required prior to most events. This protects the renter from any claims arising out of use of the clubhouse and facilities.
The Renter agrees that the use of the Clubhouse and facilities shall be in full compliance with the conditions set forth in the HILLSIDE CLUB USE CONDITIONS above, which is part of this agreement.
You as the Renter shall take full responsibility for the welfare of your guests, the overall behavior of your guests, and their compliance with all of The Hillside Club rules as outlined above, and that all regulations regarding No Smoking Regulations as specified by California law and City of Berkeley ordinances are not violated.
VIOLATION OF ANY OF THE ABOVE REQUIREMENTS FORFEITS RENTER’S DAMAGE AND SECURITY DEPOSIT, AND ALLOWS THE MANAGER, AT ANYTIME, TO CLOSE THE CLUBHOUSE TO FURTHER USE BY THE RENTER.